Sticks, Stones, Clay and Glass

too tall for kiln, head cut and flange added, greenware with terra sigillata

 
getting ready for second firing, thin wash of RIO and rutile around face
inside cache more pebbles, twigs and egg  made with porcelain, fired separately and then epoxied
                                      
Sometimes it is tricky getting the glazes to do what you want them to do without affecting the other surface treatments.  Although I wanted more green on the arms and I knew I could re-fire, I decided that it would fade out the chemise.  It is hard to see, but the chemise is done in terra sigillata and porcelain slip in gray, blue, turquoise and pinks. It has an atmospheric look---a foggy day appearance.  Sometimes when I walk out on the shoreline on a foggy morning the rising sun turns it pinkish gray.  It has this surreal feeling.  The ochre coloring of the twiggy arms and hands makes a raw and harsh contrast.  Perhaps it is appropriate for the feeling of this piece. I decided that it was enough firing and allow it to be whatever it wants to be. 











This weekend!  Lots of beautiful art!  This town is the gateway to the famous Anderson Valley!
Great wine tasting all over this town and art everywhere. 



Comments

  1. It's a beautiful and dramatic piece..I love the range of colours and tones you achieve in your work.

    (incidentally, the blog list problem seem to have reoccurred)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark. I think it's the postcard. I edited it and replaced it with a different jpeg. Hope that works.

      Delete
  2. Charlene I love this piece and I agree the contrast is stunning. I also agree that you indeed have a gift for achieving the perfect colors and tones in your work. Congrats on the show - wish I lived closer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. I wish I could see your paintings and ceramics, too! As you know, glazes give you surprises. Sometimes one wants a certain color and texture, expectations are high. Then it comes out not the color and weird. Definitely not pretty. There's a conversation going on with the kiln, clay and glaze that doesn't include me. They are the adults and I am the introverted child.

      Delete
    2. you make me smile - there are definitely some secret whispers that happen in the kiln - it's a hot party we don't get to attend!

      Delete
  3. Great work indeed! I love the colors and tones!! Oh the egg! It is really beautiful! I so love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sapphire---you remember you wanted to see a robin egg on that teapot? Your comment inspired me to make a robin egg for this piece....thank you.........

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts